What Flood Insurance Does and Does Not Cover

As residents of the Brooklyn, NY area, it is critical to understand what is and what is not covered under your flood insurance policy. The experts at VAC Insurance Agency have compiled a summary of common coverages under a specific flood insurance program and coverages that are typically excluded. Contact VAC Insurance Agency today if you are unsure what is covered under your flood insurance program. 

What is covered under a flood insurance policy?

First, it is critical to understand that your homeowners’ policy will not cover you for damage caused by flood waters; you must purchase a separate policy. 

Typically, insurance policies cover you in two main categories.

Dwelling coverage

Dwelling coverage, simply put, is coverage to help rebuild your home after a flood. It will cover items such as electrical and plumbing systems. In addition, it will help cover replacing your carpets and any drywall that needs to be replaced.

Content coverage 

Content coverage is there to help replace your personal property after a flood. Personal property can include clothing, furniture, and appliances. 

What is not covered by a floss insurance policy?

There are a few main exclusions all homeowners should be aware of. 

Flood insurance typically excludes items outside your home, such as pools, landscaping, and decks. If you want to cover any items outside your home, you will want to contact your agent and see if you can add them to the policy. 

Preventable mold and mildew are also excluded from flood insurance. If your home floods, it is crucial you properly remediate the water damage to prevent mold. 

If you live in the Brooklyn, NY area and want to learn more about flood insurance, contact an agent at VAC Insurance Agency today.